WELCOME!

Welcome to Son to Soldier. We started this blog as a way to journal our son's journey to become a soldier and a medic in the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) This has been and continues to be an exciting adventure for our entire family. We have covered lots of new territory and continue to learn more and more every day. We will be posting son's letters, pictures, and will try to keep you updated. And I'm sure we'll also have lots of posts from Mom since she's just a tiny bit proud!! I LOVE being an ARMY MOM!

(*I absolutely hate having to put a big ole watermark on front of my photos. In order to keep from doing this, I ask that you please ask permission before copying or downloading pictures. Thanks :)

Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Christmas Welcome Home!










My heart is full to the point that I'm actually speechless!!  I know, who'd a thunk??!!  I can't tell you how it felt to see him step out of that gate and what it felt like to hug that boy again.  I want to make this the best Christmas ever (even though we have to celebrate early before he ships out), and yet in the back of my mind all I can think about is him leaving again...and where he's off to this time, but I'm bound and determined to make it awesome!  It's just that I can only hope with every ounce of my being that people truly understand and appreciate what these men and women are doing.  I was in Walmart the other day talking to a friend and she was utterly surprised to hear me say he was set to deploy.  She asked why.  I had to explain it all to her.  She had no idea we were at war.  I went numb.  And then the fire set in (No..I didn't let her see the fire...At least I don't think I did!)   Although she did sort of dare me to go up to a stranger and ask them if they thought we were at war.  She wanted to see what they thought.  Maybe she didn't take my word for it.  Are people really that naive?  People really don't watch, read, or listen to the news?  Then the thought came to me....Do they care?

Maybe they would understand more if they came to my house one afternoon this week and washed his uniforms, saw the several pairs of battered combat boots lined up in his room, opened the closet and rubbed their hand over his dress uniform with his ribbons and medals, or saw the pile of combat gear, gun cleaning and medic equipment that mom put in a box in the corner so she wouldn't have to look at it.  Maybe that would make it real to them then.  One can only hope....and pray!

For now....this family is going to have Christmas.  A VERY Merry Christmas!  And mom has lots of shopping to do in order to have it all done in time.  We wish you a Merry Christmas where ever you are!  And if you run into a soldier or a soldier's family.....wish them the same.



Be Safe - Be Good - Be Strong


No comments:

Post a Comment