WELCOME!

Welcome to Son to Soldier. We started this blog as a way to journal our son's journey to become a soldier and a medic in the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) This has been and continues to be an exciting adventure for our entire family. We have covered lots of new territory and continue to learn more and more every day. We will be posting son's letters, pictures, and will try to keep you updated. And I'm sure we'll also have lots of posts from Mom since she's just a tiny bit proud!! I LOVE being an ARMY MOM!

(*I absolutely hate having to put a big ole watermark on front of my photos. In order to keep from doing this, I ask that you please ask permission before copying or downloading pictures. Thanks :)

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Did You Really Just Say That?



Excuse me Ma'am, but did you really just tell me I can't fly a "Service Flag" on behalf of my son because we are not at war? Well, let me give you a little history lesson.  On September 20, 2011, President George Bush declared war on terrorism.  I heard it with my own ears.  I saw it with my own eyes.  I witnessed the anguish in his face as he said those words and the determination and fortitude as he meant them.  And I saw the determination in the men and women soldiers that stood at attention in the background.  I will NEVER forget that day as I will NEVER forget the events that preceeded that day.  He said, "Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution.  Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done."  He also said it would be a "long, invisible and open-ended war."

Since 2001, over 2 million troops have served and fought against the war on terrorism.  Over 6,500 soldiers have lost their lives.  That means over 6,500 mother's lost a son or daughter.  As of 2011, more than 26, 000 purple hearts had been awarded and more than 80,000 troops received severe concussion (which as of this year, concussion qualifies for a purple heart).  Don't even get me started on the number of family members and loved ones that have been affected.

Serving in time of war ribbon on the left.
We just had the honor and privilege of witnessing the graduation from BCT of 200 plus young soldiers, whom upon graduating and completing the rigorous requirements were awarded a service ribbon for serving in time of war.  Maybe you need to tell them, as well as the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security that we're not at war.  Tell those boys they can't display that ribbon on their chest.  Let me know what kind of response you get, I'd be interested in hearing about that one.

While you're at it, why don't you go tell the soldier that just lost a buddy that he's not at war. Why don't you go tell the soldier that's been deployed for over a year, hasn't seen his family, has been living in a dust bowl eating nothing but dirt and MRE's for the last 12 months, living with the constant sights and sounds of war, sleeping next to his M4 rifle, has seen sights that no one should ever have to see and hopefully most of us never will see, and has been away from his family and some of the things he loves most in this world.  Yeah, you go tell him we're not at war.  And then YOU take a little vacation to a place called Afghanistan.  Go on a little road trip while you're there.  Just tag along with a unit that's doing a little patrol in a humvee that just happens to take out a few I.E.D's before the I.E.D's take them out.  Let me know how that little vacation goes for you.  Take lots of pictures so you never forget those precious moments.  Take time to talk to the people you meet along the way.  Enjoy your trip.  And when you come home....why don't you...just one more time....tell me I can't display that service flag in my window because, according to you, we're not at war.

No comments:

Post a Comment