WELCOME!

Welcome to Son to Soldier. We started this blog as a way to journal our son's journey to become a soldier and a medic in the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) This has been and continues to be an exciting adventure for our entire family. We have covered lots of new territory and continue to learn more and more every day. We will be posting son's letters, pictures, and will try to keep you updated. And I'm sure we'll also have lots of posts from Mom since she's just a tiny bit proud!! I LOVE being an ARMY MOM!

(*I absolutely hate having to put a big ole watermark on front of my photos. In order to keep from doing this, I ask that you please ask permission before copying or downloading pictures. Thanks :)

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mom, Do You Know Why?



As we were sitting with our son waiting at the USO in the airport the other day (What a surprise that was!  Oh....and a BIG shout out to the USO!!!  They REALLY take great care of our boys!  I was more than impressed and I've never seen so much food!  It was like a church potluck!) he turns to me and says, "Mom, did you notice my flag patch?"  I replied with sort of a laugh, "Yes, son.  I noticed your flag patch."  He smiled and said, "I meant, did you notice it's backwards?"  I turned him around so I could see his right arm and take another look.  No, I hadn't even noticed it was backwards.  He said, "Mom, do you know why?"  Stumped, I just looked at him and shook my head and sort of shrugged my shoulders.  He said, "We wear them backwards because it signifies running into battle.  Think of how a flag were to look if you were holding it high in the air and running forward into battle.  It blows back, right?  Yep, that's why we wear it that way."  And he sat back with a proud smile on his face.  I, in turn, gave him a huge hug and had a proud smile on my face....and tears in my heart.  I love that boy!  I love all those boys!!!!

And as they have now moved on to training at their different AIT's, today I want to quote Whinnie the Pooh when he said, "Always remember:  You're braver than you know, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."  You got this boys!!!

Airport Surprise Package!!!

Be Safe - Be Good - Be Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment