WELCOME!

Welcome to Son to Soldier. We started this blog as a way to journal our son's journey to become a soldier and a medic in the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) This has been and continues to be an exciting adventure for our entire family. We have covered lots of new territory and continue to learn more and more every day. We will be posting son's letters, pictures, and will try to keep you updated. And I'm sure we'll also have lots of posts from Mom since she's just a tiny bit proud!! I LOVE being an ARMY MOM!

(*I absolutely hate having to put a big ole watermark on front of my photos. In order to keep from doing this, I ask that you please ask permission before copying or downloading pictures. Thanks :)

Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Phone Call

After waiting for over a week and carrying my cell phone with me every second, we finally got our phone call!  Get this, I was drying my hair...had the cell phone right on the counter the entire time.  It doesn't ring...just gives me this little beep that I have a voicemail.  I look down at the phone and see Lance's picture pop up.  I missed the call!!!  Are you kidding me??!!!  Hurried and dialed him right back and it went straight to voice mail.  No, no no!!!  The house phone rings and it's him!!  YES!!  He was calling from his cell, it was VERY windy, he sounded nervous and winded like they'd been marching up hill or something, and there was more than one Drill Sergeant YELLING his guts up right into the phone - I swear!  Note to Sergeants....when you're letting these boys call their mamas for the first time  KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!  It did not help calm Mama's nerves!!!  LOL  Apron strings...I know!  :s   We only had 65 seconds.  That's what I said....65 seconds to talk.  And he kept cutting out the entire time.  He was just calling to say he made it out of reception to the first official day of Basic and that he was alive and well.  He said he had written and to wait for the letter to come with his contact info.  That was it.  Love you mom...and a quick bye.  Now to wait for that letter!!!

Be Safe - Be Good - Be Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment