WELCOME!

Welcome to Son to Soldier. We started this blog as a way to journal our son's journey to become a soldier and a medic in the U.S. Army (HOOAH!) This has been and continues to be an exciting adventure for our entire family. We have covered lots of new territory and continue to learn more and more every day. We will be posting son's letters, pictures, and will try to keep you updated. And I'm sure we'll also have lots of posts from Mom since she's just a tiny bit proud!! I LOVE being an ARMY MOM!

(*I absolutely hate having to put a big ole watermark on front of my photos. In order to keep from doing this, I ask that you please ask permission before copying or downloading pictures. Thanks :)

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm Loving White Phase!!!

Gotta love this new found freedom these boys are getting in White Phase.  TWO letters this week!!  HOOAH!!!

Hey Mom,

Things are good (he must've thought I'd be worried right off the bat - receiving two letters in a week!) We are qualifying on our shooting this week.  We have to shoot 40 targets; 20 prone (laying down) supported, 10 prone unsupported, and 10 kneeling supported.  My best pre-qual score has been 28.  We have to score at least a 24 to qualify.  Oh, and I got assigned to design our platoon T-shirt for when we graduate.  Drill Sergeant Weiss said it has to be the most bad a** out of the whole company or else I'm gonna pay for it!  My guess is that just mean a crap ton of push-ups.  And yesterday we had a 5 mile Tactical Ruck march.  So that was one of those days I was really glad I got to take my boots off at the end of the day.  Although I think that they're finally broken in now.  When they assign you your boots they give you a size smaller to avoid blisters, so I've crammed my feet in a size 9 1/2 boots.  OUCH!  But now they are pretty much formed to my feet.

Today is the OFFICIAL halfway mark!  BOOYAH!  It's exciting to think that Basic is half over because it's been going by so fat.  Anyways, there's been a rumor going around that Tom Brady (quarterback for the Patriots) was killed in a car accident.  It's crazy, almost like being back in the MTC - no information in or out other than what somebody overheard someone else talking about.  I can't wait for Sunday.  Some of the guys said they think they might try out church with me.  I love answering all their questions about the gospel.  Archondous even answers a few questions.  Tell his mom that he's doing great and he's a good dude.  Right now I'm just waiting for laundry to be done.  Most of my clothes are just soaked from sweat.  It's gross, but kinda funny too cause when my uniform gets like that it look like I jumped in a pool.  I stay hydrated though.  I swear I drink at least a gallon and a half of water a day.  My pee has never been so clear - ha ha!!

How are things back home?  I miss ya'll.  I can't wait for the 4th so I can talk to ya'll again when we get to have a phone call.  It's gonna be awesome on the 4th!  We are just counting the days!  Someone said we had 36 days left til graduation.  Just over a month left.  I can't believe it!  But it is starting to get hot here now.  We had a high of 105 today!  Yeah, I thought wearing a suit was bad - oh no - wearing full gear (ACU's, helmet, combat gear, vest or flick's as we call em) makes things even worse.  Even the bugs aren't out when it's that hot!  Ha Ha   When we qualify for shooting we don't have to wear the helmet everywhere we go.  That's gonna be a great day!  I've never hated a helmet so bad in my life.  And I thought bike helmets were bad!  So maybe if you really want to punish Tanner, make him wear a helmet all the time.  It friggin sucks!

I love ya'll tons and I can't wait to hear from ya.  (He must not be getting our letters because we've written 2 - 3 times a week!!!)
Love, Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment